A French Dessert of Burnt Cream
A rich, creamy custardy dessert with a layer of a hard caramel. It is normally best to be served cold.
This Burnt Cream is an expensive dessert served in restaurant which ranging around SG6 to SG15. So let’s make it yourself. This is the simple recipes which I extracted from Allrecipes.com and I have modified some of the steps. Happy Trying!!!
2 cups heavy cream/ dairy whipping cream
1/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
4 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Combine cream, 1/4 cup sugar and salt in saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally until steam rises and bubbles form.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla until smooth. Pour beaten yolks into hot cream a little by little.
- Stir constantly, until all cream is incorporated. *
- Sieve mixture and pour into four ramekins.
- Place ramekins on baking dish filled with boiling water.
- Cover ramekins loosely with foil.
- Place baking dish on oven lowest rack.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until custard is just set.
- Chill ramekins in refrigerator 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar over each custard using a kitchen torch till brown and add ½ tsp of lemon juice
* Note: To check all cream is incorporated, use a metal spoon and dip into the cream, the cream will be lightly coated the spoon as shown below.